College admissions: Documents you will need

Originally published June 11, 2009 10:40 IST by

It’s time to brave the heat and start searching for a college. You’ll be able to save time and energy if you prepare a portfolio of all required documents in advance. So what documents do you need?

  • Application/Registration form: If you’ve applied to a university via a registration form (for example, Delhi University issues an OMR form) you may have to produce either the original or an attested photocopy of the form. No matter which university or college you apply at, remember to note down the registration number etc. Be careful as you fill out the form, read the instructions befor eyou begin to fill in your details.
  • Passport size photographs: Each college you apply at will require a minimum of two such photographs and the requirement may go to six or more. It is advisable to take two dozen such photographs and carry them around with you until the admission process is over. You never know when they might be needed.
  • Mark sheet and pass certificate of your Class X or XII examination: Also take attested photocopies, which are usually given to you by the school at the same time as the mark sheet. Colleges demand that both attested copies and originals be submitted at time of admission, in order to prevent you from changing colleges without officially withdrawing. The originals can usually be taken back later from the college office.
  • Proof of date of birth: This is usually in the form of your tenth standard marksheet or pass certificate which contains your date of birth. Your birth certificate will also do. Some colleges demand one of these certificates explicitly.
  • School leaving certificate
  • Transfer certificate: Issued by the last school you’ve attended.
  • Domicile certificate/ residential proof or certificate: This certificate is to prove that you’ve been the resident of a particular state or union territory. This certificate is especially important for places like the NITs which have state-wise quotas. This certificate is available from local authorities and the rules to get it differ from place to place. The ease with which it is available also differs from place to place. It is advisable that you apply for this certificate well in advance. Some proof of continuous residence is required as well as things live school leaving certificate etc.
  • Provisional certificate: If you are applying to a college outside your home state, you will need a provisional certificate from the board of the state you are applying in. This is also true for candidates who are from ISC or CBSE boards who are applying for admission in state universities.
  • Character certificate: Usually from the institution last attended. Students who have taken a gap period must obtain a more recent one. A certificate issued by any gazetted officer will suffice.
  • Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Caste certificates are needed if you’ve applied under these categories.
  • Community Certificate is needed if you’ve applied for such a quota.
  • Gap students in certain jurisdictions are required to obtain an affidavit from a court. If you are a gap student it is usually advisable to carry some kind of proof of what you’ve been doing during the gap.
  • Proof of disability: If you wish to avail of the handicap quota.
  • Migration Certificate
  • If you wish to join a college through the Extracurricular Activities (ECA) quota or Sports Quota, it is advisable that you take proof of participation and of winning any events you’ve taken part in to the trails.

Points to Remember

  • If you are sending these certificates by post, remember to send an Acknowledgment Card (to acknowledge that they’ve received the certificate) and a self addressed stamped envelope.
  • Every college issues a list of documents required. Make sure you have all documents on this list when you apply.
  • Remember to take attested photocopies of all the above. Don’t forget to take with you the amount to pay for fees in cash or demand draft.
by Navin Kumar